Thursday, July 2, 2009

New Poem

So- poetry... it has definately been a little bit of a struggle for me. Poets are supposed to be all dark and twisty, but I am not! This poem entitled Everything Happens for a Reason is completely opposite of everthing I have ever written. We had to listen to all kinds of slit-your- wrists- music (I really prefer the Jonas Brothers to the depressing stuff my professor likes!) and this is what I came up with.

Everything Happens For a Reason

As I stand in your arms, I know life will go on.
Our story has come to a natural end; we must move forward.
I am done trying to keep you by my side.
We must look to the future, learn to forgive.
You and I should have cared when we still had a chance,
but there are no accidents; everything happens for a reason

I want to know why; I search for a reason.
Why did we struggle so long or love so deeply
if all was destined to burn at our feet?
The answer is not simple, the hard ones never are.
What if we were there to help each other as we grew,
but, now that we are grown, it is time for life to go on?

Time, people, places, and even life goes on.
Our story was moving towards the abyss long ago.
It took another step with every screened telephone call.
It leapt forward with each diverted eye and white lie.
When did we stop trying to slow the progression?
I lie awake each night wishing we had another chance.

Why didn’t we care when we still had the chance?
Why didn’t we try to salvage what was left of our love?
I know we saw the end lingering ahead,
but why didn’t we fight?
Why didn’t we hold tight to what we thought was most dear?
Because, now that we are here, at the end of the road, I do not want to move forward.

Our journey is through; we must move forward.
I can feel our bodies and souls drifting apart.
Our memories, good, bad, sad, are fading to gray, fading to just a part of the past.
I try to hold on. I want to remember,
but, instead, I bury our love deep in my mind where it cannot hurt me.
I am done trying to keep you by my side.

I brush your cheek. You stroke my hair. I look past you, to my future, where we will forgive.
Our story is through, I’m too tired to fight, we gave up our final chance,
but you were not an accident. Everything happens for a reason.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, but keep listening to the Jonas Brothers!! Love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete